If you've seen my basic sounds tutorial (and if you haven't, you should!) you'd know a rimshot sound instead of a snare. The classic snare, while considerably more tricky, is far more versatile.
Step 1 What's it sound like?
The classic snare is similar to the word "poof" if said without the "oo". So, to start, say "poof", then take away the vowels. You should have a sound similar to a spit, almost as if you were trying to spit tea leaves from the tip of your tongue.
Step 2 Fine-tuning
Once you have the "pf" sound down tighten your lips up to get the nice, crisp snare sound. Alternatively you can use your tongue to get a similar sound, although that method will cause trouble when learning more advanced beatboxing techniques.
Now you can use it in place of a rimshot in your beats for a more realistic sound. It's also possible to hum whilst making this sound, but I'll talk about that in a later tutorial.
Described as "[one] of the finest exponents of the hip-hop discipline" by YouTube's music blog, Fat Tony's tutorial series is THE definitive guide to learning how to beatbox. As featured on Humanbeatbox.com and BeatboxAustralia.net.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades